Pepper Chicken with Yam Balls
For The Chicken
6 chicken breasts
large sliced onion
2 large ripe tomatoes sliced
1 tbsp tomato purée
1tsp chilli powder
100ml cooking oil
1tsp mixed spice
dash of thyme
250ml of water
For The Pepper Sauce
6tbsp groundnut oil
1tbsp chilli powder
dash of thyme and coriander
salt to taste
1. Clean and wash the chicken and place in a saucepan with salt, some onion, 250ml of water and a dash of thyme.
2. Cover the pot and simmer for 45 minutes.
3. Take out the chicken and place in a baking tin, sprinkle with melted butter and brown in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.
4. Heat the oil in a saucepan and lightly fry the onion, add the rest of the ingredients and fry gently over a low heat.
5. Add two tablespoons of stock from the boiled chicken and continue to fry until the moisture has evaporated.
6. Arrange the chicken on a platter, pour the pepper over it.
To Make The Pepper Sauce
1. Liquidize the tomatoes with half the onion and slice the other half.
2. Heat the oil, lightly fry the onion slices and combine the spices with the tomato mixture before stirring into the hot oil.
3. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring
For The Yam Balls
1kg boiled yam
3 beaten eggs
25gm corned beef
oil to deep fry
To Make The Yam Balls
1. Mash cooked yam with one beaten egg.
2. Mix crushed corned beef into the two beaten eggs, with a pinch of salt.
3. Mould mashed yam into small balls, dip each into the egg mixture and deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
4. Serve hot