Apple and Raspberry Charlotte
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Equipment: Pyrex Vintage Bowl
4 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
150g Caster sugar
Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp water
300g fresh raspberries
400g white breadcrumbs
75g Demerara sugar
50g flaked almonds
1. Put the apple slices into a large pan with the sugar, lemon rind and juice and water. Cook with the lid on until soft but still holding some shape. Add the raspberries and stir in. Leave on one side.
2. Preheat the oven to Gas 4, 180 C.
3. Melt half of the butter in a large frying pan, fry half of the breadcrumbs until golden and crisp. Remove, stir in half of the sugar and then repeat with the remaining butter and crumbs and the almonds, stir in the remaining sugar.
4. Put half of the fruit into the base of the bowl, top with the crumbs (without the almonds), then add another layer of fruit and finally the crumbs with the almonds.
5. Cook in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes and serve with cream or custard.