Strawberry Trifle with Pimms
Prep time: 25 minutes
Chilling time: 2 hours
Cost per portion £1.05
Who can resist trifle? This lighter more modern version is made with Pimms soaked strawberries and topped with reduced fat custard and a lighter, reduced fat creamy yogurt layer flecked with citrusy lemon and orange rind. If you have time leave the strawberries and Pimms to soak for 30 minutes or more so that the flavours seep into the sponge base before topping with the custard and cream.
• 4 trifle sponges, about 100g/4oz in total
• 350g/12oz strawberries, sliced
• 4 tbsp caster sugar
• 4 tbsp Pimms, undiluted
• 425g/15oz can reduced fat custard
• 200ml/7fl oz double cream
• 150g/5oz low fat natural yogurt
• Grated rind half orange
• Grated rind half lemon
• 3 strawberries, halved
• a few tiny pansy flowers
• or lemon and orange rind curls
1) Break the trifle sponges into pieces and arrange in a single layer in the base of a 1.2 litre/2 pint glass dish. Arrange the strawberries on top, sprinkle with 2 tbsp sugar then spoon over the Pimms.
2) Spoon the custard over the top of the fruit and spread the top into an even layer.
3) Whip the cream in a bowl until it just forms soft swirls then fold in the yogurt and fruit rinds.
4) Spoon over the custard and chill until required. Decorate with halved strawberries and pansy flowersor lemon and orange rind curls made with a zester just before serving.
Recipe credit: Seasonalberries.co.uk